Since it was managed by Verenigde Oost Indische Compagnie (VOC) –by the permission of Batavian ruler at that time, Prince Jayakarta- in the early 16 century to the present, the Island of Onrust has been functioned for different puposes. One of them was –in 1911-1933- this island along with its neighboring island, Cipir, were functioned as Hajj Quarantine Villages by the Dutch Colonial Government.
As can be seen today, most of the old structures on the Onrust and Cipir are the remains of the Hajj Quarantine facilities. Then, sea line transportation was flourish since aircrafts has not been developed. Three month sail by ship was the time needed to carry hajj pilgrimages to the Arab Peninsula and another three months to take them back home. Therefore, the hajj pilgrimages were adapted to the sea weather. The departure and arrival of the pilgrimages were regulated here. The remnants of the facilities which can still be seen, among others, are hajj pilgrimage barracks, a medical staff residence, hospitals, registration office, security offices, communal toilets, and bathing facilities. Some of which have been renovated so their existence are quite complete. The doctor residence now functions as a museum for The Archaelogical Park of Onrust Island.